Thursday 11 August 2016

Belgium race 1- 6/8/16

This was my first ever race outside Great Britain and it was in Belgium. We left on Friday at lunch time and got to the hotel late Friday night. My race was at 1 o'clock European time and it took us about 2 hours to get there from the hotel and when we got to the village in a lot of time so drove around the course. The course was a 3.29km circuit on normal but closed road and with a big hill to finish on. I got gridded on the front row  and I got a good start, the first half lap was almost neutral so I got myself on the front but then someone attacked and I didn't jump quick enough and ended up in the middle of the group and the group was going to fast to move up. When we got into the headwind it all slowed down but I couldn't move up because the road wasn't very wide and everyone else was moving about a lot. Then with about three laps to go a big attack went on the hill and when it plateaued over the top for about 50 metres the bunch expanded a lot  and the next time up the hill one person in front of me blew up and that was it for me it would be a hard chase into the head wind. I was a bit disappointed with 18th place but realised it was a good experience and an alright result for my first time racing abroad. There was a lady parked next to us who said that this is the hardest and the longest race in the Belgian calendar and she said that the winner of my race (the one behind me) wins every race he goes too.



No comments:

Post a Comment